Friday, December 23, 2011

Cast came off!!!!!

I went in yesterday for my 2 week post-op appt and I was able to get my cast off, yeah!! The skinny from the PA is that they want me non weight bearing for another week and then start my physical therapy next Thursday. The goal is to have the ankle joint at a 90 degree angle at the 6 week post op mark. I asked questions about range of motion, boot questions, and the all important sleep question to the PA. Range of motion questions went from how far can I bend my toes back toward my body to side to side motion to pain during the process. The last thing I want to do is re-rupture it!

It always feels weird when the cast comes off too. My foot looked all cramped and swollen and the surgery site is "sick" looking, with all their marker marks and dried blood with the staples and sutures. They did take out the staples and sutures before the PA came to look at it and talk with me. The girl did a good job taking these out, it just felt like she was pulling out hairs down there. In preparation for that removal I took a Promethazine nausea pill just in case I didn't do so well while she was taking them out. 

Well, I did ok, sweat a little bit but at least I didn't pass out like I thought I was going to. Ever since that fishing trip out in the Pacific in Oregon last year when I got really sea sick, I have not been able to do some of the first responder things that I could do before that. I don't know if it's all in my head, but I can't really look at a lot of blood now or injuries that involve those things. Anyway, tangent!

My first nights sleep without my cast on was GREAT! I was worried that I might move it around too much or tweak it, but I didn't do that and it was wonderful. Before I went to bed I also worked some of the swelling around my foot up into my leg. That ended up making my skin itch and caused a little pain but I know that I need to spend some time doing that or else that swelling hardens and causes problems in the future. Updates coming as I progress.

No comments: