Thursday, December 8, 2011

Surgery day

I spent the day getting myself mentally prepared for what was going to happen today. The appointed time came around (5:15) and Tiff took me down to Central Utah Clinic. I registered and then the waiting game came. The nurse took me back to get me prepped and ready at around 6:30ish. After I had changed into one of those great hospital gowns, slippers, and blue surgery hat I was informed that I had about a 2 hour wait time! At least the nurse offered the choice of some movies to watch while we waited.

I got into the gurney and got all settled with the IV in and dripping and the movie going. Tiff was with me all this time and I told her that she did not need to stay and she could go and get something to eat. She left and I started the wait game.

They wheeled me back into the OR around 8:30 and I did not have any medication in me. I was a little worried that they had not put anything into the IV yet. All I remember is looking at the floor of the OR and seeing a lot of iodine soaked bandages and floor markings. Worried...

I remember them putting the first drug into the IV and it feeling cold inside my arm. Then they put an oxygen mask on my face and told me to take deep breaths as they put another drug into the IV. This one was really cold going into my arm. I started to feel really good and then I was waking up in recovery!!

We didn't get out of recovery until midnight, crazy, and then it was freezing cold going home. I was thankful for the nerve block that they put in on the nerve in the back of my knee!

No comments: